While Little Hodags sessions are very important, application of learned skills in a competitive environment reinforces the lessons learned and provides an additional opportunity for instruction.
Toward that end, competitive team play (usually within the Great Northwest Basketball League) is available to 5th through 8th graders. Travelling teams compete against teams from other communities in up to eight tournaments per season.
Each tournament, typically held on Saturdays, usually involves four games per team. A specific requirement is that 5th and 6th graders must participate in Little Hodags programs in order to be eligible to travel.
At the 5th and 6th grade level, fair playing time in the course of a tournament is the goal. 7th and 8th grade teams are more competitive, team success being the goal, playing time not guaranteed, but afforded as best as possible on a reasonable basis. Depending upon player counts, try-outs or rotating tournaments rosters may be required.
Because Rhinelander Jr. High athletics are WIAA sanctioned, 7th/8th girl seasons must conclude by December 31st and 7th/8th grade boy seasons can't begin until January 1st.
Travelling Team participation requires the following:
- Completion of registration forms including player/parent/coach contract and Great Northwoods Basketball League consent forms.
- Traveling team fee is $75 for 7th & 8th graders, $65 for 6th graders and $45 for 5th graders. Also the players are responsible for the purchase of their own jerseys which is usually a one time fee of approximately $35.
- Fees are staggered for 8th -5th grades based on the amount of tournaments each grade level is allowed to participate in.
- Parental transport of their child to/from mandatory practices.
- Parental transport of their child to/from tournaments. If parent is unable to attend, arranging for child's transportation to/from the tournament venue and provision of meal money for tournaments.
- 6th, 7th and 8th grade parent participation in RBA's hosting of the 7th and 8th grade tournaments is mandatory. Dates are 12-1-12 for girls and 1-26-13 for boys. Sixth grade parents are expected to run the concession stand at JWMS for the 7th and 8th grade tournament (for your child's gender). Seventh and Eighth grade parents are expected to run the concession stand at RHS and/or assist in set-up and/or clean-up at RHS (for your child's gender).